Monday 5 October 2015

One day one photo - 5


This is me with World Downhill Mountain Bike Champion Rachel Atherton. I should have also been making the victory sign because I was feeling very happy that I had conquered my first ever downhill mountain bike race and was still in one piece!

It was quite a unique event, Red Bull Foxhunt - 150 women in a mass start racing down Caerketton Hill in the Pentland Hills just outside Edinburgh. I had never done an event like this before. In fact the last time I'd ridden a mountain bike had been more than a year ago at Brighton Big Dog, a cross-country mountain biking event in a park - quite a different proposition. And even then, I was by no means an expert mountain biker!

Red Bull Foxhunt, organised by the eponymous energy drinks company and Atherton Racing with sponsorship by Jeep was very convivial, with the staff and the other competitors being friendly and welcoming.
I had only organised to go to the event one week before, in a flight of fancy and adventure, and once there I wondered if I had bitten off more than I could chew. Luckily, it all went smoothly, I met a number of nice people, even the weather played ball as we were bathed in sunshine most of the weekend - quite handy when you are camping in Scotland in late September! I definitely recommend Foxhunt and hope to do it again next year. You can read more about how I got on in my article about it on Sportsister.


Related article

Trek Remedy goes to Red Bull Foxhunt

No comments: