Saturday 7 March 2015

10 Sound bites from... Dame Sarah Storey

Sarah Storey made a gallant attempt to break the women's world hour record at the London Revolution Series in Lee Valley VeloPark last week.
Riding her black Ridley Arena speed machine during "the hardest hour of her life" the Pearl Izumi-Sports Tours International rider narrowly missed out on Leontien van Moorsel's 46.065km record from 2003.

Britain's most successful paralympian fell short when she rode 45.502km, however she did break the British women's record (previously held by Yvonne McGregor), the World Masters Age 35-39 record, and the C5 para-cycling record.

Here's what she had to say to the pack of media folks shortly afterwards:

"I emptied the tank and at the end I couldn’t have got any more out of myself."

"You’re just so thirsty and you can’t see because you are sweating into your visor.... you're trying to think logically, and not “Ahh I wanna stop!”

"I couldn’t have trained any harder. I’m the fittest and lightest I’ve ever been since I had Louisa."

"This particular time [to attempt the hour record] fitted in really well. Next year’s all about Rio. I guess you never ever say never but I don’t think I will ever do it again!"

"Records are there to be challenged. I’d love to see Lisa Brennauer [World time trial champion] or Sarah Hammer [World record holder over 3000m] try it."

"I still feel like I’ve got ants in my pants because I can’t move without jerking around. I’m just relieved to have done it!"

"Chris Boardman said it’s an event that should be respected and feared and there’s absolutely no doubt that I’ve both respected it and feared it."

"I always said I was going to come and do the very best I could and that’s exactly what’s happened."

The crowd was amazing and was really behind me. The last 10-15 minutes were incredible and it kept my mind off those horrible feelings in my legs."

"Completing the event teaches you a huge amount. We’ve taken marginal gains to the nth degree....and can apply them to what I’m going to be doing between now and Rio."


Related Articles


Golden girl Storey at London 2012 Paralympics

10 Sound bites from the Aviva Women's Tour





No comments: