Monday 10 September 2012

One Day One Photo - 9

Sunday 9th September

Sea at last! I set off by bike from Milan on Saturday morning and arrived at the coast in the early hours of Sunday morning. Naturally, it was pitch black when I arrived in Rapallo, so I had no idea what the place was like. It was good to be greeted wth views that resembled Nice, France. I was actually on the Italian side of the Riviera, which doesn't look much different to French Riviera. In any case, it felt great to be by the sea. I even managed to dip my feet in.

I spent the night in Rapallo, but the following morning I spent most of my time in nearby Santa Margherita and rode onwards to the end of the coastline in Portofino. You could tell this was a swanky area because the boats were bigger and cleaner, and more and more luxury cars were zooming by. Sadly, I didn't get to see all of Portofino. A local policewoman had to explain to me that no bikes were allowed in the pedestrian area - not even when being wheeled. Sourpuss!

Anyway, I saw enough of the village to know this general area is worth the trip. The Italian Riviera is beautiful and every bit as nice as its French counterpart.

No comments: