Monday, 3 September 2007

Summer seems so long ago !


This time yesterday Stanley and myself were enjoying tapas on a cafe terrace near the Picasso museum in Barcelona. The sun was hot and we'd been trying to find somewhere shady to sit. Even I found myself burning at one point !

The previous day was spent lounging on the beach at Sitges in 30 + degree heat. I kept burning my feet when getting up to walk barefoot through the sand.

Today, given that we only arrived back in London in the early hours of the morning I was in a rush to get ready and out for work. Putting on the only clean blouse and cardigan I could find with my trousers seemed enough clothing to wear in this morning's sunshine. But it wasn't. The northerly wind definitely had a cooling effect. 16 degrees celsius was a bit of a shock to the system after our adventures in southern France and Spain.

So here I am sat at my desk (during lunch hour) getting back into the swing of work and the drudgery of London life ! The holiday had to end some time I suppose !

Anyway, before I forget, a brief run-down of where we went for our Trans-Pyrenean adventure :

Day 1 :
Pau to Laruns (via Oloron Ste Marie, Col de Marie-Blanque)

Day 2 :
Laruns to Luz St Sauveur (via col d'Aubisque, col du Soulour, Argeles Gazost)

Day 3 :
Luz St Sauveur to St Beat (via col du Tourmalet, col d'Aspin, Arreau, col du Peyresourde, Bagneres de Luchon)

Day 4 :
St Beat to Massat (via col de Mente, col du Portet d'Aspet, St Girons)

Day 5 :
Massat to Querigut (via col de Porte, Tarascon sur Ariege, Ax les Thermes, col de Pailheres)

Day 6 :
Querigut to St Cyprien (via col de Garavel, col de Jau, col de Ternere)

Day 7 :
St Cyprien Plage to Portbou (Spain) (via Coulliore, Port Vendres, Cerbere)
then train to Barcelona

650km cycling through the pyrenees, climbing lots of cols, while carrying 10kg of panniers on a slightly overgeared bike. I am glad I stuck with the challenge and hopefully am abit stronger for it, albeit with a slightly sore bum !

Day 8 : Sunbathing in Sitges
Day 9 : Basking in Barcelona

A great fun-packed holiday. More details and photos to follow (I promise).
Post a Comment